Mate choice and nest cavity selection are directly linked to reproductive performance in seabirds, and disruption of these can result in breeding failure. The Red-billed Tropicbird Phaethon aethereus mesonauta breeds on inaccessible and remote islands, nesting primarily in natural rock cavities. I examined the relationship between reproductive performance and mate and nest cavity fidelity on St. Eustatius from 2012 to 2016, corresponding to four successive breeding seasons. The majority of nest failures occurred during the incubation stage. Pairs that failed in their first breeding attempt and laid a replacement clutch were more likely to be faithful to their mate and nest cavity within and between seasons than pairs that bred successfully. Only two replacement clutches (3.8%) were laid after the loss of a chick in the first breeding attempt, whereas the remaining 50 replacement clutches (96.2%) were laid after the loss of an egg. The stage at which pairs split had no influence on mate or nest cavity retention the following season. There were no significant differences in the weight or morphological measurements of chicks from pairs that retained their nest mate and/or cavity and those that switched. The results of this study suggest that switching nest mate or nest cavity does not necessarily improve subsequent breeding success among Red-billed Tropicbirds on St. Eustatius.
You have requested a machine translation of selected content from our databases. This functionality is provided solely for your convenience and is in no way intended to replace human translation. Neither BioOne nor the owners and publishers of the content make, and they explicitly disclaim, any express or implied representations or warranties of any kind, including, without limitation, representations and warranties as to the functionality of the translation feature or the accuracy or completeness of the translations.
Translations are not retained in our system. Your use of this feature and the translations is subject to all use restrictions contained in the Terms and Conditions of Use of the BioOne website.
Vol. 107 • No. 3