Translator Disclaimer
3 January 2014 A-Single Spermatogonia Heterogeneity and Cell Cycles Synchronize with Rat Seminiferous Epithelium Stages VIII–IX
Author Affiliations +
Abstract

In mammalian testes, “A-single” spermatogonia function as stem cells that sustain sperm production for fertilizing eggs. Yet, it is not understood how cellular niches regulate the developmental fate of A-single spermatogonia. Here, immunolabeling studies in rat testes define a novel population of ERBB3 germ cells as approximately 5% of total SNAP91 A-single spermatogonia along a spermatogenic wave. As a function of time, ERBB3 A-single spermatogonia are detected during a 1- to 2-day period each 12.9-day sperm cycle, representing 35%–40% of SNAP91 A-single spermatogonia in stages VIII–IX of the seminiferous epithelium. Local concentrations of ERBB3 A-single spermatogonia are maintained under the mean density measured for neighboring SNAP91 A-single spermatogonia, potentially indicative of niche saturation. ERBB3 spermatogonia also synchronize their cell cycles with epithelium stages VIII–IX, where they form physical associations with preleptotene spermatocytes transiting the blood-testis barrier and Sertoli cells undergoing sperm release. Thus, A-single spermatogonia heterogeneity within this short-lived and reoccurring microenvironment invokes novel theories on how cellular niches integrate with testicular physiology to orchestrate sperm development in mammals.

Shadaan N. Abid, Timothy E. Richardson, Heather M. Powell, Priscilla Jaichander, Jaideep Chaudhary, Karen M. Chapman, and F. Kent Hamra "A-Single Spermatogonia Heterogeneity and Cell Cycles Synchronize with Rat Seminiferous Epithelium Stages VIII–IX," Biology of Reproduction 90(2), (3 January 2014). https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod.113.113555
Received: 28 August 2013; Accepted: 1 December 2013; Published: 3 January 2014
JOURNAL ARTICLE
PAGES

This article is only available to subscribers.
It is not available for individual sale.
+ SAVE TO MY LIBRARY

SHARE
ARTICLE IMPACT
RIGHTS & PERMISSIONS
Get copyright permission
Back to Top