The mechanical impact of rice polishing on the rice weevil,Sitophilus oryzae (L.), and the subsequent postpolishingeffects associated with rice quality were studied. “Brown” rice(not polished), “White (infest then polish)” rice, and “White(polish then infest)” rice were used with different polishing processintensities and different initial weevil densities. Weevil progeny weremore numerous in Brown than in White (infest then polish) or White(polish then infest) rice. Polishing corresponding to a weight loss of11% in rice generated an immediate mortality of ≈40%; thesubsequent mortality caused by rice quality was also 40% (total>80%). A polishing process corresponding to 14 and 16% of riceweight loss generated a drastic mortality in the weevil population(>95%). The progeny per adult weevil was similar with high and lowinitial weevil densities. The development of weevil progeny was alsodelayed by about 1 wk in White (infest then polish) rice compared withBrown rice. Furthermore, weevil adults of the progeny weresignificantly heavier in Brown than in White (infest then polish) orWhite (polish then infest) rice.
You have requested a machine translation of selected content from our databases. This functionality is provided solely for your convenience and is in no way intended to replace human translation. Neither BioOne nor the owners and publishers of the content make, and they explicitly disclaim, any express or implied representations or warranties of any kind, including, without limitation, representations and warranties as to the functionality of the translation feature or the accuracy or completeness of the translations.
Translations are not retained in our system. Your use of this feature and the translations is subject to all use restrictions contained in the Terms and Conditions of Use of the BioOne website.
Vol. 93 • No. 6