We report a case of envenomation by Steatoda borealis (Hentz, 1850) in Connecticut in late spring 2021. The bitten subject was a 60-yr-old female Caucasian. The bite occurred upon disturbing some books in her basement. She reported a painful stinging bite on her finger followed by the formation of an erythematous macule at the site of the bite which was gone the next day. There was no sign of necrosis. The spider was recovered directly at that time. The victim reported that later that night she experienced heart palpitations. This is the first report of envenomation by S. borealis, a common spider in Connecticut.
You have requested a machine translation of selected content from our databases. This functionality is provided solely for your convenience and is in no way intended to replace human translation. Neither BioOne nor the owners and publishers of the content make, and they explicitly disclaim, any express or implied representations or warranties of any kind, including, without limitation, representations and warranties as to the functionality of the translation feature or the accuracy or completeness of the translations.
Translations are not retained in our system. Your use of this feature and the translations is subject to all use restrictions contained in the Terms and Conditions of Use of the BioOne website.
Vol. 58 • No. 6