Translator Disclaimer
1 March 2001 IVERMECTIN TOXICOSIS IN A CHAMELEON (CHAMAELEO SENEGALENSIS) INFECTED WITH FOLEYELLA FURCATA
Author Affiliations +
Abstract

Both male and female Foleyella furcata were found in the subcutaneous tissue and abdominal cavity of an adult male wild-caught Senegalese chameleon (Chamaeleo senegalensis) This nematode species is endemic to Madagascar but has never been recorded from the continent of Africa. Prior to the chameleon's death, a migrating worm was seen under the skin in the abdominal and thoracic region. Huge numbers of small, sheathed microfilariae were detected in the blood smears. The chameleon was treated with a single dose (0.2 mg/kg s.c.) of ivermectin. Serious adverse reactions (complete inertia) developed within 24 hr after injection and lasted for 7 days, indicating either ivermectin toxicity or a systemic reaction involving the release of endotoxins from the microfilariae dying in the bloodstream as a result of parasiticide therapy. Therefore, ivermectin treatment of chameleons infected with Foleyella should be avoided.

Z. Széll, T. Sréter, and I. Varga "IVERMECTIN TOXICOSIS IN A CHAMELEON (CHAMAELEO SENEGALENSIS) INFECTED WITH FOLEYELLA FURCATA," Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 32(1), 115-117, (1 March 2001). https://doi.org/10.1638/1042-7260(2001)032[0115:ITIACC]2.0.CO;2
Received: 3 October 2000; Published: 1 March 2001
JOURNAL ARTICLE
3 PAGES


SHARE
ARTICLE IMPACT
RIGHTS & PERMISSIONS
Get copyright permission
Back to Top