Two adult female elf owls (Micrathene whitneyi) were treated with leuprolide acetate depot injections to prevent egg laying. The birds were treated for several years without complications. Several years into the treatment regimen, both birds died immediately after receiving an injection of leuprolide acetate. Remaining drug was analyzed, revealing 95.7% potency. We suspect that either an immediate Type 1 hypersensitivity reaction occurred or a contaminant was present, resulting in the fatalities of these elf owls. No reports of anaphylaxis to leuprolide acetate in birds were identified in the literature. Clinicians should be aware of the possibility of anaphylaxis when administering this medication to avian patients.
You have requested a machine translation of selected content from our databases. This functionality is provided solely for your convenience and is in no way intended to replace human translation. Neither BioOne nor the owners and publishers of the content make, and they explicitly disclaim, any express or implied representations or warranties of any kind, including, without limitation, representations and warranties as to the functionality of the translation feature or the accuracy or completeness of the translations.
Translations are not retained in our system. Your use of this feature and the translations is subject to all use restrictions contained in the Terms and Conditions of Use of the BioOne website.