Translator Disclaimer
1 May 2005 Response of four canola populations to ethametsulfuron
Thomas M. Wolf, Kevin C. Falk
Author Affiliations +
Abstract

The effect of ethametsulfuron on populations of canola was evaluated in field and laboratory trials. Three canola populations (TR4, CB9604, and BC86-18) and the open-pollinated canola cv. ‘AC Parkland’ were treated with several doses of ethametsulfuron at the two- to four-leaf stage. In the field experiment, plant densities were determined before spraying and again at plant maturity. Density reductions during the growing season were observed for all populations (6 to 17%), but reductions due to ethametsulfuron above 0.3 g ha−1 depended on year, being noted for TR4 in 1997 (40 to 65%) only. In laboratory trials, only TR4 demonstrated sensitivity to ethametsulfuron, up to 49% visual damage averaged over all plants. The response was binary, with about 40% of plants at any given herbicide rate surviving unharmed and the remaining 60% of plants exhibiting > 90% visual damage. It is concluded that TR4 is sensitive to ethametsulfuron and further work, including a comprehensive genetic study, is required to determine the inheritance of sensitivity.

Nomenclature: Ethametsulfuron; canola, Brassica rapa L.

Thomas M. Wolf and Kevin C. Falk "Response of four canola populations to ethametsulfuron," Weed Science 53(3), 337-341, (1 May 2005). https://doi.org/10.1614/WS-04-160R
Received: 9 September 2004; Accepted: 1 January 2005; Published: 1 May 2005
JOURNAL ARTICLE
5 PAGES


Share
SHARE
KEYWORDS
herbicide tolerance
stand reduction
ARTICLE IMPACT
RIGHTS & PERMISSIONS
Get copyright permission
Back to Top